Monday, August 22, 2011

Grayson Paul Pierce

On my Thursday appointment Dr Roth decided that bed rest was just not cutting it anymore and decided to induce me on the following Monday!
We were told that the hospital would call us on Monday morning between 5:00am and 9:00am to tell us when to come to the hospital. It was the longest night of life. Finialy we got a call at 6:30 saying to come in at 7:30 am.

Right when we arrived they started a drip and IV of pitocin. This drug causes contraction. When I arrived I was only dilated to a 1 and not effaced at all. The pitocin should help make the labor progress. At about 12:30 with still no progress Dr Roth came in and broke my water. This might be too much information but he inserted his hand and then put what looks like a large long crochet hook and riped the sack. Super painful.

As a side note, around this time I had not eaten since 9:00pm the night before so with every commercial that came on the TV I swear it had to do with food. I was starving and there was no end in sight.

The braking of my water was suppose to help make my labor progress, it did it made the contractions worst with less time in between and more painful. I was now dilated to a 3 and 70 % effaced. Around 2:30pm I had had enough and decided it was time for the epidural. The anesthesiologist came and had me roll up into a ball which is extremely difficult with a beach ball of a stomach. I'm sure many women can attest to this but the epidural was super painful I actually cried my eyes out, but it was so worth it. Instantly the pain was gone. Unfortunately one of my legs went all the way dead which didn't help with the pushing part.

With the continued supply of pitocin I should have been progressing a lot more but around 6:30 I was still at a 3 and still only 70% effaced my dr came in and stated that with in the hour if I had not progressed any more then we would be doing a c section. I had no problems with this. I know that will shock most people but both my mom and my older sister Nikki had c sections with all of their kids. I had seen the recovery and it wasn't so bad, I mean it was defiantly longer recovery and I'm sure painful but I wasn't afraid of going that route. David on the other hand was not wanting to go that route .

Lucky for David within the hour I had finally progressed to 5 and was 80% effaced. Dr Roth said alright lets wait another hour. In another hour I had progressed to a 8 and was totally effaced. Finally at 10:30pm and two nurses later I was dilated to a ten and ready to start pushing. I told dr Roth that this kid was coming out tonight and not after midnight. Dr roth asked if the was something special about the 15th, I replied no but I have been here all day this kid is coming out tonight.

Grayson Paul Pierce came in to the world at 11:57 pm on August 15th, weighing at 7 pounds 4 ounces and was 20 and a half inches long. Can you imagine if he was not three weeks early? He would have been a tank.

Because be was a little early and they were afraid of his lungs not being fully developed, he went to the NICU for a few hours to make sure he was able to be alright on his own.

It was the most amazing experience. He is just the most beautiful baby and is just perfect.
I'm so happy he is here.

No comments: